John Milton: “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.”

Who knew that our thoughts and our way of being in the world in terms of our perception of experience would have a direct impact on our health?

So much is changing in the fields of biology. New research is evolving our understanding every day. I found this article, detailing the concept of Epigenetics. (In fact, so new, every time I use the word, it gets underlined in red as if I have spelled it incorrectly, or I am using a word that doesn't exist).

Epigenetics is the science and study of how genes express themselves - that the environment - both internal and external, directs what the genes do. So even though we inherit genes, the way we signal them to express themselves in our bodies, is ours alone. What we inherit that affects our genes is our belief system. Think about that. In the past, we believed if there was cancer in our family genetics, we were likely to follow. THIS IS A BELIEF! Since the human genome project, science reveals that only 5% of chronic diseases are in fact genetically inherited. This means we have control over the other 95%. By what we think, by what we believe, and how we behave in each moment.

What's more, Steve Cole goes on to suggest that the way we frame our experiences has an impact on what our genes do and which proteins are created.  

Here is an excerpt from the article. Link to full article is below.

“So environment and experience aren’t the same” 

“Exactly. Two people may share the same environment but not the same experience. The experience is what you make of the environment. It appears you and I are both enjoying ourselves here, for instance, and I think we are. But if one of us didn’t like being one-on-one at a table for three hours, that person could get quite stressed out. We might have much different experiences. And you can shape all this by how you frame things. You can shape both your environment and yourself by how you act. It’s really an opportunity.”

Cole often puts it differently at the end of his talks about this line of work. “Your experiences today will influence the molecular composition of your body for the next two to three months,” he tells his audience, “or, perhaps, for the rest of your life. Plan your day accordingly.”

This means being mindful has an even greater importance than originally thought. If we're stuck in a negative thought/feeling loop, what message does this send to our genes, and to our cells? With meditation we can retrain our brains to think differently, to create a new default system. One with a more healthful, loving outlook.

Check out the guided meditations on this page. And if you're in Bend,  Oregon, come join me in our weekly meditation groups. See this page. 

 

Full Article HERE